Day 2 started out well. We departed at about 10:15am and headed umm... I don't know what direction, i'm going to guess north. Anywho- we did Gates Pass today. I was shocked as to how easy my legs felt- the first few poppers def. let me know I had worked yesterday and hadn't been on my bike in a while but being in the midst of a group I was able to sustain over them w/o letting my HR jack too high.
Here are my totals and then I will describe the wreck- but must keep it short as I am tired.
today's Distance: 70.79 miles
Week Total Distance: approx. 151 miles
Time: 3 hours, 58 minutes
Week Total Time: approx. 8 hours, 30 minutes
Today's Calories: 3501
Today's Average HR: 137
Okay now onto the good stuff. We headed up over Gates Pass, which split the crew up a bit. It was a good few mile popper that def. made me work. D hung by to teach me some tactics as to how to get up the hill and keep my heart rate down. Got up the hill and headed down a short but steep decent. Which was fun but again could tell its been several months since I have been on my bike and even more several months since I have decended. Anyway- about an hour and a half later is when it got spiced up again. We were on a long, straight, long, straight, flat, long, straight road--- get the point-- and D and I were hanging on the back after we lead a few short minutes to pull the groups back together.. Now it happened so fast in slow mo, i know oxymoron but just wait, that I'm not sure i'll recall the exact details but.. now I know what it is like falling off my road bike and hitting the pavement at umm.. 18-21mph. So we were in a nice little grove, D and i were chatting it up and I guess I was feeling rather comfy. I was sitting up with my hands on the top of the bars, bent down with my right to grab my water bottle and out of the corner of my eye noticed the guy in front of me tire was getting really close, and he wasn't going backward, that meant one thing... I was moving faster than the group ahead of me and didn't have a single hand on the break. I sat up as quickly as I could and attempted to hit the break BUT my hand missed grabbed the top of the break and the rest happened in slow mo. I saw my tire just miss his tire, but overlap, then watched as my tire connected with his derailer.. from there, all I know is that I flew in the air, hit the pavement, and heard Daniel yell "babe." I sat up, wiped myself off and noticed blood was literally running off my body-- it didn't phase me much but soon, I saw the van stop and two people get out (no big deal-they are our support) then I saw two riders turn around and come back, as I looked up (the downside to wearing my contacts) I could see the entire group stop ahead at a stop sign and look back. UGH. I told the crew- I'm fine keep riding, so luckily the two others headed back to the group and got them going. I was left with a scene of 3- this I could handle.. we wiped me off, put some numbing cream on my arm and hand and headed back out to complete the 20 miles..
20 miles later back in the hotel.. I checked out my arm and those are the pictures to come.. You could see lots of tissue (seemed like hanging out). My leg is scuffed like a turf burn.. all in all, i'm okay, it doesn't hurt that bad and NOTHING is broken.. cleaned it out, showered, got dressed and headed out to dinner at a fun Japanese Restaurant..
hang on for the stories to come- 3 more days of long riding and hopefully I have NO more stories such as this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment