As another year is ready to pass and the talk of new beginnings, goals, and resolutions upon us, I reflect of 2010. I don't feel as though I remember much, hopefully it will come to me as I write. I will try to remember a few of the year's milestones:
Turning 29....
Ouch, I dreaded this birthday more than any others. How could time have passed to fast that I nearly have only 1 quick year left before I hit the big 3-0... I struggled with this birthday, however; I think it has made it easier as 30 is approaching. Nothing really changed, I feel the same, maybe even better than I have in a while. I explored new avenues and found new outlets!
Buying a house...
Yep, its official, I've committed. Daniel and I bought a house together this year. Against much discussion on making this commitment on my own, we made the commitment together. A big step for someone who doesn't stay in the same place for more than a few years. Its a great little house, yes little, but suits my style.. Now for the backyard- a sanctuary of relaxation and tranquility this will be the 2011 project to come.
Finishing coursework to be able to sit for my BCBA exam....
peopled laughed in 2009 when I started taking classes again, the running joke being was I ever going to quit being a student- maybe not..maybe so. Heck, I don't know. Nonetheless, I completed my coursework in September with flying colors. I was supposed to sit for my board exam in January but that has been pushed off till April/May. I can't wait to pass that exam in 2011!
Coaching Lacrosse....
awhh this one is bittersweet. In 2009, December to be exact, after months (about 3-4) of deliberation, I took the head coaching position at Cheyenne Mountain again.. I loved it, it was great to be back but how I worked full time, coached part-time, did about 10-15 hours of school work a week, and raced my bike.. I will never know. This all caught up with me this fall (as the time of year it usually does) when I realized how I just couldn't maintain the lifestyle I was living. The girls deserve more, and I deserve more for myself. So in one short year, I resigned again. Their new coach is a friend of mine and will be fabulous! I just know it :) I'm very excited for them to have someone who knows the program, knows the girls and has a love for lacrosse and energy to give them that I just no longer have. I miss the girls a lot but will hopefully get to some of their games. I wish Cheyenne the best in the future :)
Marathon...
this might have been the biggest milestone of them all, well right up there with racing my bike which I'll get to in the next segment. I ran my first marathon this fall, December 5th, Las Vegas in 3:29 and qualified for Boston! I am stoked, although my initial goal had been 3:25, I'll take the 3:29. I'm sure if you've read previous posts, I was attempting to have fun at this race and let go of time goals---well that wasn't exactly realistic. I did have fun and was conservative in the race, but letting go of a time goal was nearly impossible for me. The best thing that happened in this race was that the night before my garmin died..yes dead completely. So, I wore a watch but didn't look at it, this turned out to be the best thing that happened to me. I started very conservative, this was good but in my heart of hearts, I know I have a 3:25 in me!!! I can't wait to someday reach that goal.
Cycling Season...
This too proved to be a success. I got my upgrade at the end of the season to category three. Although I never had a 1st place win, I did have several podium spots in 2nd and 3rd! I gained confidence this year and played around with my racing style. Crits are my thing and putting in good attacks, taking chances and such is probably a strength for me.. So towards the end of the season, thanks to some coaching from my coach, I sat in and worked on making them count. I saw myself really grow as a racer this year. I look forward to next year, which will be a good learning curve for me as I'll get plenty of races with the big girls (category 1, 2s). Tulsa Tough also proved to be a inspiring race as it was a 3/4 race and I took 19th and 11th respectively in fields of 60!!!!
Coaching...
I worked with a couple of different coaches this year (Daniel not being one of them, although he still is a guidance and support for me). I've finally found what I need in a coach which is very exciting. My current coach helped me to a 2nd place finish in the AFA road race (for those that know me this is my best finish in a RR event yet, and the toughest of all races for me) and a 3:29 placing 11th in my age group at Las Vegas marathon with a Boston qualification! What I need in a coach is someone who will have confidence in me, listen to what I am saying and feeling, continue to push me and motivate me!
As for the next 5 days of the year, I hope they prove to be even more outstanding than the last 360! Cheers to 2010.
Now for what I feel needs improvement:
-consistency on the bike through the spring
-balancing life and work and making myself a priority (this is always a challenge for me)
-continuing to push myself to new limits, set new goals, and explore the unknown
-clean up my eating habits (I spent a lot of this year with anxiety, stomach aches, headaches) I believe a big portion of this is stress from work etc. but one way I intend to combat this is to start eating healthier (local & organic) as well as trying a gluten free diet.....
Here are some books that inspired me this year:
Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson
-one man's mission to promote peace....on school at a time
"The End of Overeating"
-about American's food industry...sugar..salt...fat..sugar...fat...salt.... how industry's are creating N. America's unhealthy epidemic.
"If the Buddha Came to Dinner"
-how to nourish your body both nutritionally and spiritually
No comments:
Post a Comment